If your house or apartment was built before 1978, you at risk of having lead paint in your home. Lead-based paint, even if hidden under layers of newer lead-free paint, can break down because of age, poor maintenance or household repairs. Lead can also be found in your water from old plumbing pipes, soil, and even in children’s jewelry, toys and old pottery. Lead in water has gotten a lot of attention lately, but dust from lead paint is the most dangerous threat to young children. 80% or more of lead poisoning is caused by lead paint.
No amount of lead is safe for children under 6. It can cause severe attention, behavioral, and learning problems. Lead poisoning is a life-long issue, but lead poisoning is preventable. The first step in protecting your children from lead poisoning is to have your home tested for lead.
Isles is offering a unique opportunity to have your home or apartment’s water and paint tested for the presence of lead at no cost. In fact, we'll even pay you $5 if you do get your home tested.
How does it work?
Isles’ Community Health Workers will set up an appointment and come to your home to:
- Test for the presence of lead
- Test for other indoor issues that might be making asthma or other health conditions worse
- Give you tips on how to keep your home lead safe and healthy
- Give you a free gift bag of safe cleaning products and a $5 cash gift!
If we find lead in your home’s paint or dust, we can immediately enroll you in a program to provide repairs and maintenance to address the lead paint issues for free. If lead is found in your soil or water, we will provide you with information to help you keep your family safe.